Thursday, July 20, 2023

Blue Wildflowers


As I rode off today the weather was calm and still, with barely a breeze, and my mind was calm and still, too. I noticed the wildflowers all along the banks of the canal: yellow and purple and white. There is real Queen Anne's Lace here (with the little red flower in the center where she pricked her finger.) I didn't see any red or blue flowers though. 

The water was almost like glass, with a hint of a ripple and it reminded me of leaded glass - like really old houses have - imperfect, but gorgeous, the imperfection making it more attractive. I wondered to myself as I looked at the reflection of the trees on the canal why it is that reflections are so beautiful. 

When I got to Tildonk I decided to ride on. I knew I had a bar with me so I could push a little bit farther. And as soon as I rode through the tunnel under the street I saw dark orange - nearly red - and blue wildflowers. The picture above is of the blue wildflowers. 

At about the 45 minute point I stopped at some picnic benches and ate my bar. I felt happy to be out on such a beautiful day, enjoying my bike, Sabrina, and using my legs to burn calories and create memories.

As I rode home the water was even more still and it dawned on me why reflections are so beautiful. I think it's because humans love symmetry. To a human, symmetry is inherently beautiful. People who have very symmetrical features are more attractive (think Denzel Washington). And when you look at a reflection of a tree on the water it makes a near perfect symmetrical image. It felt good to ponder that.  

It was a very nice ride and I pulled into my apartment happy and peaceful, glad for the extra bit of riding and ready to start the rest of my day. 

Here is a pic of me a little later in the day running to the grocery store in my pink and white dress:



No comments:

Post a Comment