Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bike Commuting

I haven't posted in a while because I was sick and I got tired of writing about Tabor. I did have a very proud day, however, on Christmas Eve when I rode up Mt. Tabor six times. I hold the record now among my cycling friends. The most anyone else has done is four.

The weather has been cold and rainy, so I've been doing my elliptical more inside for my serious cardio. I have, however, continued to ride my bike as my main form of transportation. My favorite all time short ride is to Pho Van to pick up chicken noodle soup. I wrote a haiku about their pho ga today:

Pho Van
Fuh Van or Fo Vahn
noodles, broth, chicken and sprouts
hot, simple, comfort

And because I'm totally geeking out about going to Japan I wrote two more bicycle haikus:

riding up tabor
practicing my japanese
I'm gasping for breath

want to ride my bike
want to ride my bicycle
ride it where I like

The last one is based on the Queen song Bicycle Race which has become my new theme song. I had a great ride up Tabor today and I did practice saying all the phrases and vocabulary I learned in japanese as I rode. One of the great things about SE Portland is that you can ride your bike saying "Onna no shito wa akai no jitensha motte imasu" (The woman has a red bike) and no one really cares. It certainly won't be the weirdest thing they will see that day.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely not the weirdest thing seen on Hawthorne on any given day.

    ReplyDelete