Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Likes and Dislikes

I wonder why I like grasses so much in nature. I like the way the wind rustles through their leaves and how they sway against the breeze. But I just don't like grasses in people's yards. This is one of the things I thought about today on my afternoon ride. This got me thinking about likes and dislikes and how quirky I am about certain things.

I love sundresses. I love summer, in part, because it is the season for sundresses. I have eleven sundresses. Four are not good for riding on my bike, seven are. I love to go for a short ride in a sundress. And I love to see other women wearing sundresses. They are just so beautiful! Plus, the shops show lots of dresses in their windows. 

I dislike a lot of songs that have names as a big part of the chorus. Even the two songs with my name I don't like. There's Starship's song, "Sara" and Fleetwood Mac's "Sara." Both are spelled like I spell my name, which is interesting. I wonder how that happened. But I also don't like the song "Roxanne" by the Police. There are others, but I can't think of them right now. Songs I love with names in the choruses are "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkel. 

I don't really like dogs in general, but I absolutely adore Corgis, Cocker Spaniels, and Greyhounds. They are three very different looking dogs, but I just light up when I see all three of them. I can't stand Chihuahas. My favorite dog in Leuven is a very old St. Bernard who goes for walks with his person a couple times a day. He gets so tired that he lies down on the sidewalk and sleeps sometimes. I've often come upon them and the dog is completely sacked out. His person just squats down beside him and looks at his phone until he's ready to get up and walk a little bit more. I've seen them out doing this for about a year. I don't know how old the St. Bernard is, but they are the sweetest pair ever. 

I love almost all smooth foods. I adore pudding and chocolate mousse. I love hummus, yogurt and skyr, and guacamole. I love mashed potatoes especially when they have sour cream or yogurt or cream cheese in them that makes them really creamy. I also love refried beans especially if they are served with plain yogurt and guacamole. I also really like soft foods like scrambled eggs and cottage cheese. 

With the exception of Swedish meatballs, I can't stand dishes where they mix meats. I once had to eat a pie that had pork, beef, and chicken in it and it is the second worst dish I have ever eaten. (The worst meal I ever ate was the kosher, vegan, low-cholesterol, gluten-free, low-sodium meal on an airplane. Blech.) But I also don't like cassoulet. That kind of thing, where the meats are really stewed together. 

I love seeing well-dressed cyclists. I see them all the time here in Belgium. They could be out on their city bikes or e-bikes, or sometimes they have a couple of kids in tow with their cargo bikes. (Cargo bikes are very popular here and people use them like station wagons.) I noticed once a woman who took her skirt, folded it over and sat on it. She didn't have a skirt guard, but she was able to ride with no problems with her skirt folded over like that. I haven't seen many people riding in high heels. Sneakers are all the rage nowadays which I'm grateful because I also hate uncomfortable shoes. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment