Saturday, July 29, 2023

Precision, Symmetry, and Synchrony

I rode off for a 90-minute ride today thinking about precision, symmetry, and synchrony. I remembered the movie The Last Samurai and a very inspiring scene where samurai culture is described as being dedicated to pursuing every daily task they perform with perfection. Even simple tasks, like pouring boiling water with a ladle were completed flawlessly: lifting the ladle carefully, gently pouring the water into a cup, and then slowly placing the ladle down, so that it rested perfectly above the pot of hot water. There is a precision to their movements from the moment they wake until the moment they lie down to sleep. 

Their kimonos are also very precise, with the sashes being tied with symmetry that is very pleasing to the eye. Humans love symmetry, whether the bilateral symmetry of a human face or the radial symmetry of a bike tire. 

It was at about this point in my ride that I saw a Grey heron, a bilaterally symmetrical exquisitely lovely example of beauty in the bird world. And Grey herons are perfect for what I was thinking about today because they move very slowly and precisely, while standing at the edge of the water or flying.

Another thing that I thought about from The Last Samurai is how pleasing it is when people, animals, and plants move in synchrony. In The Last Samurai, they show them practicing their fighting techniques. But you see it all the time in the world. When the wind sweeps across a field of corn, the stalks move synchronously in the wind. And even the sound of that is pleasing. And when the ballet performs The Nutcracker Suite, the synchrony of the movements is so practiced, so precise, so elegant that it leaves the audience astounded.

Elegance is something that requires precision of movement. It is beautiful and peaceful to behold. I have a friend named Amy from high school. One day our choir director asked her to direct the choir. I don't think she wanted to do it because she is very shy, but she went up to the front anyway. She is a very naturally elegant person, fluid and precise in her movements, and she is an extremely attractive woman. (She also was our valedictorian so you can imagine what an impressive person she is.) Anyway, she got up to direct the choir and was so perfect, so elegant, so lovely as she conducted us that the boy sitting next to me sighed heavily and said to himself, "She is so beautiful."

At this part of my ride I saw an airplane on its approach to Brussels. Airplanes are perfect examples of precision, symmetry, and synchrony. Thousands of parts come together to precisely create this bilaterally symmetrical machine that is capable of flying through the air in a feat of engineering so astounding that I get a little thrill every time I see one. 

I've wondered how I could try to become more precise and elegant in my life. I have to think about it throughout my day. My husband and I built a cabin on some land in Wyoming. We built the whole thing ourselves and the entire thing required precise effort. It required focus. I had the look carefully at each task I was completing, holding my concentration and using my physical strength as well. Because I had to, I learned to be more precise. But I could work on it more in my everyday life. It's like with eating. You have to do it anyway, so you might as well put some effort into it and enjoy it. I have to do all my tasks of daily living anyway. I might as well put some effort into them and become more elegant if I can. 

So that's what I thought about today. It was a very good ride and a very nice way to spend time with my thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment