Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Pilates

Today was another 90-minute ride on my wonderful bike path. The weather was warm and sunny. The backhoe which almost crushed me about five days ago was nowhere to be seen. So that was good. I was going around him and he started moving with his big tank like "wheels" and I pulled my bike and body out of the way just in time. It was really close. I don't even understand why he is tilling up all the natural weeds and grasses on the canal bank, anyway. It's a project that has been going on for about a month and I'm ready for it to be over. 

My husband is just finishing up his master's degree here in Leuven. And then he is going to hopefully find a good job. We don't know where that will be, but hopefully it will be somewhere where we both can thrive and be happy. 

I have a very strong desire to get a home Pilates/personal training studio going again. It's something I'm really good at and it helps me feel like I'm doing something purposeful with my days. It's such a wonderful feeling to help someone get out of chronic pain or to help them become stronger, leaner, healthier, and happier. 

It's also one of the things I'm really qualified to do. I have a degree in Sport Studies. Then I did series of four trainings on the Pilates reformer which gave me a solid foundation in the most important Pilates apparatus. I also did a 1-year Pilates apprenticeship with a woman who apprenticed under one of the original apprentices of Joseph Pilates. So that makes me something like a great-granddaughter of Joseph Pilates. I have several certifications I've earned over the years including Hatha yoga teacher, personal trainer, Pilates teacher, master trainer, Resist-a-ball trainer, and stretching expert. I volunteered for 200 hours as a Physical Therapy Aide in which the physical therapist who was my mentor let me sit in with every patient so I could learn as much as possible. I also have a Sports Nutritionist Certification, an Senior Fitness Certification and a Healthy Eating for Weight Loss Certification. 

I've also collected over two thousand different exercises that I use to make it so that no two workouts are ever the same when you come to see me. There's always something different. I believe this kind of variety keeps the brain active and challenges the body to get much better results than if you do the exact same thing every workout. I miss teaching and really hope that wherever we end up I'll get to do it again. 

So that's what I've been thinking about lately. I'm getting ready for a new life. Who knows where we'll end up? 

No comments:

Post a Comment