Thursday, December 3, 2009

We set off this morning for the two peaks ride: up Mt. Tabor then north to the next cinder cone, Rocky Butte. It was COLD this morning and windy so we struggled to warm up our muscles on the slow climb up toward the mountain. Mt. Tabor was almost completely empty. There weren't any children on the playground and we only saw one person at the summit. After rounding the top, we headed down, down, down to and over to Rocky Butte.

I can't believe how much easier climbing hills is since Tony adjusted my back. I feel much more even in my pedalling and I made it almost all the way up Rocky Butte in my 20th gear (out of 24). At the top we stopped to appreciate how pretty Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helen's looked. Then we headed back down, through the twisting tunnel, and home. On the way home we were riding with the wind, so it felt easy and warmer.

I had an appointment on the other side of downtown so after showering and walking Dexter, I hopped back on my bike and rode towards the river. My appointment was half way up the west hills so the 20 or so minute ride ended with another big climb. Before riding home, I called Peter and we decided to meet on the Waterfront near the Hawthorne Bridge for happy hour.

Inspired by the Hungry Cyclist's adventurous diet, I decided to try some oysters on the half shell. So, we went to one of the oldest restaurants in Portland, The Oyster Bar, for my first experience into what I now know is a culinary delight. The server let me try one before I ordered and it was delicious so I ordered 12. She brought me two kinds, a smaller one called Kumamoto that are from Tillamook and a larger one from Washington. Peter got steamed clams which were delicious too. We washed it all down with a Duck Pond Riesling. The clams and oysters were pretty small so we each got 2 fish tacos off the happy hour menu too.

Riding home we could see that the bridges were going up and when we got to the bridge there must have been 40 other cyclists lined up all around us waiting. I wish I would have thought to take a picture because it was quite a site. All those blinking red lights patiently navigating their way over the bridge once it had gone down. It was a thrill to be part of that.

Today was a my favorite kind of day. 3 hours of riding, 2 mountains, 1 bottle of riesling, 12 oysters, and 40 bike commuters on the Hawthorne bridge...that makes a near perfect day in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment