Monday, December 20, 2021

Back in the Saddle

I've been reading through this bicycling blog lately and realizing how much I missed the thoughts-soothing nature of riding. So much has happened since I last blogged. My husband and I lost all of our possessions, including our five bicycles, to mold. We moved to Laramie, Wyoming where my husband went back to school for four years to get a Computer Science degree. And now we are living in Belgium where my husband is pursing a master's degree in Statistics. 

I actually don't own a bike right now because we sold or gave away almost everything we owned in order to move to Belgium. But my husband has a rental bike that I took out for a 45-minute ride along the river today. His bike is very comfortable and has fenders and a chain guard which I love. It's great to be able to cycle in jeans. 

Right away when I started riding today I noticed that my mind became so much calmer. This is why I loved this so much, I thought. I rode over to the marina area which is quite close to our apartment. Then I hopped on a great little bike path that runs along the river. It was pretty quiet traffic-wise as it is most of the time in our small town of Leuven, Belgium. 

As I rode I passed geese and ducks and got passed at least three times by bicyclists going much faster than me. I also passed a bunch of recently chopped-down trees which made me a little sad. But, boy did my mind feel good. Bicycling is really special in that way. You have to pay attention to what you are doing so it slows your mind down and focuses it. 

After 22 minutes I turned around right about at the time that I had reached the next town over: Remy. I cycled to a new town on my first bike ride in Belgium! How fun! I rode back feeling a little sluggish for a bit, but I got a second wind. All-in-all it was a great ride for my first time riding in over a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment